A good kitchen renovation starts with the realization that you need one. Several factors come into play as you begin to think about what kind of design elements you want in your new kitchen.
We’ve discussed them below;
How do you currently use your old kitchen
Some issues are more obvious than others. You could be missing a window, and a place for natural light or perhaps the layout is too small for all of the cooks in your household to move comfortably when preparing meals. Possibly it’s been years, and that fridge simply isn’t cutting it anymore. But if these issues have snuck up on you recently, chances are there are some things about your current kitchen that you’ve never even noticed because they’ve always been there.
Not budgeting for it
It’s essential that you afford any contingencies that might occur in your home renovations. That doesn’t just mean that you have the funds to cover all of the unexpected costs within your budget but that you also have a savings cushion from which you can pull additional funds if necessary. In other words, if your project goes $2,000 over budget, you shouldn’t have to worry about where to get the money. You should have adequate reserves in place before even beginning a project so that you can afford whatever surprises might come along during construction or renovation.
Moreover, it’s crucial to ensure that you have sufficient funds for your kitchen renovation project itself. Also, it should not jeopardize your ability to maintain an emergency fund or make contributions to retirement accounts.
If your kitchen renovation seems like something with which it would be wise to speak with a financial advisor, consult one before getting started. Remember, there are plenty of other potential sources of credit beyond credit cards and home equity loans, such as personal loans. Therefore, don’t feel like those are the only options available to finance renovations if necessary. However, we recommend avoiding them at all costs whenever possible.
Not making it child friendly
When planning your family’s kitchen renovation, safety should be top of mind. Of course, you want the space to look beautiful and stylish, but you also need to make sure it’s safe for kids. This will give you peace of mind and allow them to explore the kitchen more freely without worrying about potential accidents.
Here are some ways to childproof your kitchen renovation:
- Childproof locks and stove covers- These items are an absolute must if you have a child who is still crawling or toddling around the house.
- Cabinet locks and latches-These are essential for families with curious little ones who love opening doors and closets.
- Choosing durable materials like hardwood flooring instead of carpeting will help ensure that spills aren’t absorbed as easily into porous surfaces
- A kitchen island isn’t recommended for families with young children because they can easily trip on its sharp corners while walking through the room
- Consider an open floor plan where there aren’t any walls separating your living room from the kitchen so your kids can play safely in another room while food is being prepared
Hiring a bad contractor
Here are a few red flags that should send you packing.
Do they recommend a particular tile or countertop store?
Does the contractor offer to buy materials at his wholesale price? This is not a good deal if they add their markup to it, also known as double-dipping. Plus, if your contract doesn’t indicate that you own the materials, your contractor can keep them even if you paid for them.
Not being prepared for the messy part of renovations-Prepare for the disruption
The key to a successful renovation is to prepare for the mess and disruption before it starts. The messiest part of a renovation is usually at the beginning, when everything in your kitchen needs to be moved out of the way.
Renovation dust will be everywhere, so cover all your surfaces with plastic sheeting after you’ve moved all furniture, appliances, and food out of the kitchen. You’ll also want to ensure that you have enough space in other parts of your home or storage unit for large items such as cabinets and countertops.
Successful kitchen renovations take careful planning and attention to detail
A kitchen renovation is a big project, and success takes careful planning and attention to detail. These are not tasks to be undertaken lightly or on a whim. So before you start ripping out cabinets and drafting your dream space, take a minute to make sure you know what you’re getting into. Ensure you understand how to make sure your remodel goes smoothly.
Find the Best Kitchen Renovation, Contractor
When you have a massive project in mind, and you’re not sure where to start, like if you want to renovate your kitchen and you don’t know what kind of project management or design services would be best for the scope of work, it can be difficult to know where to begin looking for a contractor. Instead of blindly searching through the internet or asking around on word-of-mouth, you can find the best contractor by doing the following;
- Think about how much work is involved in the project- Does it need structural work? Are you adding to the existing space? Do you need someone to design parts of it? Will it require significant demolition? The more complicated the job sounds, the more likely it is that finding a general contractor who can take care of all aspects of a renovation like that will cost more. A smaller renovation might only require someone with specific expertise in a few areas, like electrical work or tile installation.
- Ensure that everything will go smoothly by choosing someone who has experience with projects similar to yours. If this is something that has never been done before at your house, you’ll want to make sure that whoever does it has experience doing similar jobs at other places
Finally, remember that how you use your kitchen, the expertise level of your contractor, and your budget will influence how your kitchen renovation project turns out. Therefore, make sure you do not commit any mistakes. Start by hiring a professional contractor today!